Monday, November 3, 2008

article reflection

Reading the article "Rethinking Schools", reminds me of individual laptops some sites have in LKSD. The students now spend most of their time in front of the computer and they seem to be not so afraid of trying new things like the adults. When I go visit sites, the student prefer to do work on the computer more than paper pencil work. I remember visiting a classroom where the high school LA teacher was encouraging students to write different forms of business letter using their computer. With interest I sat for 10 minutes with a student who was working on his letter. He seemed to enjoy what he was doing on a computer he even changed his format several times while I was sitting with him. I'd say the students now are more comfortable with computers than the adults. They tend to try new things without the fear of breaking the computers than us adults.
Reading Abdullah's blogging reminds me of our class. I agree with the writer, it helps students to freely state what they want without being told what to write. It helps me as a writer to jot down what I feel. As a second language learner myself, I tend to have writers blog when there is guidelines and rules to follow. But when I am asked to write without rules or guidelines I tend to have more open mind. I agree with the writer that blogging allows students to reflect on and criticize the texts they were reading in class. I think giving students a freedom to write especially giving them the chance to prove they can write, they will illuminate and illustrate what they can do. I strongly believe if we give different ways to have students express writing blogging should be part of the curriculum.

No comments: