Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Words As Big As The Screen

I thought the article was motivating! I really enjoyed reading the article. It really said what I have always thought about language loss, shift, and renewal. I thought language programs part was interesting because I had to pause and think of what we have been doing in our district. I totally agree with the authors illustration that linking the use of language to the realms of environment, culture, and history seems to locate the language as part history, as an archaeological artifact rather than as an everyday part of modern life. I strongly believe that even though our language is in a rage of shifting or loss, yes our goal should always be to make our traditions such as subsistence to stay alive by making it meaningful for our students or immersing them. Like our elders always say people learn only through participating and practicing, and even though it doesn't perfect the first time by keep trying and never giving up will make a person skillful in what they are trying to learn! I really love this phrase from elders.
I know that we will never go back to the past, but we need to try and make accommodations of utilizing what is comfortable to our students environment like for example using technology if we wanted to keep our language and culture alive. I agree with the author about this comment.

No comments: