Monday, November 10, 2008

My hopes/fears&connect/separate?

My hopes for technology in curriculum is huge! I would like to see technology integrated to the Yuuyaraq curriculum I am creating. I am trying my hardest to integrate technology in the upper grades especially junior high to high school. I think students will have fun interviewing elders and use i-movie and garage band to record and transfer their recordings. And being able to transcribe using computer will ease them to edit their papers. Plus to demonstrate using power points their other projects they had done. Another hope is that they will practice their Yugtun writing skills using blogging in a class with their teachers. It would be awesome if technology was Yup'ik-ized!
My fear for technology is that the students know more than the adults. Kids are not afraid of utilizing technology. They know more than the adults who are more afraid to create something that will apeal students. Plus I think developing curriculum using technology will be time consuming especially if you are a full time teacher with families. My deepest fear is not being able to monitor adequately.
I think technology both connect and separate us. For those who are technology bound it is very useful and easy. But for those who are not so techy it is time consuming and not so useful when it comes to effectiveness of a lesson. Technology can keep us connected with outlying villages. It is easier especially now a days that we email each other with immediate needs and it is so easy to send or receive our immediate needs. What separates us is when we feel that our rights will be violated, for example, if someone is invading by reading our own private emails or etc. Or when we are afraid to use technology as a learning tool for our students. Especially when we are not tech savy.

No comments: